Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Some tasty foods

Paula here--Becca's sister who lives in South Jordan, Utah. Becca asked me to share some of the things I've been eating that are low carb and low fat yet still tasty and satisfying.

My favorite so far (I think it tastes like a dessert, but that might just be in indication of how long it's been since I've had dessert!) is a simple combination of 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese and one 6 oz container of Dannon Light and Fit yogurt (fat free, fake sugars). I eat it with a baby spoon so I can savor it a little longer and it really does satisfy my craving for a treat. So far I've only tried it with the vanilla yogurt, but I'll bet it would be good with any flavor. Wal Mart has had the six pack of vanilla dannon light and fit for only $2.18 which fits nicely into my budget, too. :)


I've also been eating a lot of canned chicken from Costco because it's quick, it's tasty, and it's on my food plan. Here are my two favorite ways to prepare it:

Chicken salad: I mix a can of drained chicken with fat free sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chopped pickles, then I eat it on celery sticks--I actually just sit down with the bowl of chicken and scoop it out with the celery. I've also used whole lettuce leaves to make wraps--just drop a dollop of the chicken mix onto a lettuce leaf, roll it up, and enjoy!

The other way I've really liked the chicken is a simple stir fry. My food plan calls for 2 tablespoons of olive oil a day, so I start with olive oil in a pan and add lots of chopped onions, chopped celery, and chunks of zuchini. Green or red bell peppers would also work well. I sprinkle two or three packets of Truvia and about 3 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce on the veggies and stir and turn until the veggies are done. I like them still a little crispy, but good and hot. Then I add a drained can of chicken, sprinkle a little more soy sauce on the chicken, and let it heat thoroughly. I've been eating this alone for the most part, but you could have it on 1/2 cup of brown rice if that's in your food plan.

I've been craving Mexican food, so for lunch today I used up both of my carbs for the day so I could have both beans and rice at the same time. I heated up 1/2 cup of fat free refried beans in the microwave. At the same time, I put about 1/2 tbls of olive oil in a pan, added 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, 4 ounces of cooked ground turkey, and salt and pepper. When it was all hot and sizzling, I added about 1/3 cup salsa and stirred until thoroughly heated. I poured it over the heated refried beans and thought I'd gone to heaven!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh yummmm! Sounds delish. I had some stir-fry veggies today and they are really good with a spicy chili sauce called "sriracha hoi chili sauce." I tried it at Ann and Perry's and it's got heat that I love. It doesn't take much of it....

    I look forward to trying some of you recipes. Do you have any good dips or salad dressings? Maybe some made with yogurt? I like dill and lemon and salt and pepper in a plain yogurt.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete