Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Optimistic

For those who don't know me, I am Joanna Randall and I am Rebecca's sister in law. This blog is a great idea! I know it's really early, but I'm really excited about FINALLY trying to take ownership of my weight and I'm really optimistic. It seems that by the time I realized that my body is aging and I can't get away with habits and lifesyles that I used to be able to get away with, my weight was totally out of control. My biggest wake up was viewing a DVD that my daughters basketball coach had put together with pictures from the season and seeing the pictures of myself was shocking. I wanted to cry because that woman wasn't the woman I see in the mirror every morning. It was an eye opener to see myself the way others see me! I didn't gain all this excess weight over night and I know I won't lose it overnight, but it feels good to be taking steps in the right direction! What I'm doing is making small adjustments that I can live with now and plan to add more as I progress. My biggest changes are #1 to give up the soda pop. I am way too addicted. I get a 32 oz. fountain drink almost every day. NO MORE! I am filling up those 32 oz cups with ice water and taking them with me in the car so I can sip on them all day. #2 is getting up a little earlier to do my bike. I have a friend that I walk with 5 days a week, but I also need to add something a little more results oriented. #3 is eating breakfast and eating at regular intervals. I never eat breakfast, in fact I'm usually in such a hurry that I don't eat anything until 11 or 12 when I'm starving and then I just grab the first thing I can get my hands on which is usually not a healthy choice. Now I am feeding myself before my kids! #4 is having healthy foods that I actually enjoy in my home and making those choices. I made a grocery trip and loaded up on those things. I'm keeping a gallon size zip lock bag with a mixture of craisins, almonds and sunflower seeds(yummy) in the car, so when I get hungry on the go(I'm always on the go it seems!), I can grab a handful of that and not hit a drive thru! The last thing I put in place is I took a picture of myself and put it on my cell phone so that I have to look at it every day. When I get the urge to run to the nearest place that sells fountain drinks, I look at that picture and ask myself how bad I really want that soda! Very effective for me. I know this is only day 2, but I already feel better. I realize much of that is mental and not necessarily physical, but I feel better none the less and I am excited to dream about the day my shopping trip can be to buy clothes instead of food because my old clothes are too big!!!!! Good Luck everyone!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. so smart to have all that stuff in the car! i've realized how good almonds taste now that i haven't had sweets for a few days. what a handful of flavorful goodness! i used to think almonds were just for ice cream. i need to make the same type of grocery list and get a giant cup/bottle for water...great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: at first i thought you were going to start bearing your testimony or give a talk :)

    ReplyDelete